Saturday, July 12, 2008

First Impressions: Strunk and White

I found that Strunk and White's elements of style was very useful to me. Although I was not aware of the rules of writing, I findt that I use many of these rules when I write. For example, when I was reading rule 20, that states "Keep related words together" I could relate to the issues with the first example. When I was reading this statement, I was very confused.


While reading Strunk and White's ideas, I found out some rules of wrting that I was not aware, it was very helpful to me for writing future papers.

"In terms of," on page 20, is a phrase that I found myself using in many of my writings. I thought that this term sounded very professional and I thougth that this statement gave more clarity to a specific topic. By reading, elements of style, I find that this statement should not be used in writing.correct, but when reading this article, I realize that it is not correct. It seems like some phrases are okay for speaking , but some phrases should not be used when writing.


Strunk and White's elements of style has made me realize that many people make up their own vocabulary. "Irregardless" is a word that I hear very often and I also find myself using this word sometimes. Before reading this essay, I would have never thought that this word did not exist. When reading the explanation on page 50, I realize that the word "irregardless" is like using a double negative, which is always wrong in writing.


In writing, word usage is always important. Page 51, of The Elements of Style, tells us that the words 'fewer' and 'less' are often misused. I did not know that these words related to different things. This is very helpful to me because in the past, I used these words interchangeably.


I feel that this reading was very helpful to me and it is one that I will refer to when I am writing future papers. I found that because people may use a certain word, or speak a certain way, this does not mean that it is correct when writing.


No comments: